Hi, this Courgette and Tomato Barley Salad is lovely for the colder weather as it is served while still warm. I must say when the weather is cold I am not a huge fan of eating cold salads are you?
I have made this Courgette and Tomato Barley Salad a couple of times now and it always goes down really well. Barley has a lovely texture however I had never made a salad from it before, I add it to soups but I though that making it into a salad was a wonderful idea. What dishes to you enjoy cooking with barley?
If you are not a fan of goats cheese you and leave it out or replace it with a cheese you prefer.
I hope you enjoy xx
- 250g Pearl barley
- 3 large courgettes, thinly sliced
- 250g cherry tomatoes, halved
- 100g soft goats cheese
- 3 sprigs of rosemary
- 4 sprigs marjoram
- handful of basil, roughly chopped
- 3 - 5 tablespoons olive oil
- salt and pepper
- Place a pot of salty water on to boil and cook the barley as per instructions. Drain and place to the side.
- In a pan, add a tablespoon of oil and on a medium to high heat add ⅓ of the thinly sliced courgettes with 1 sprig of rosemary. Sprinkle with a little salt and cook until soft and until they have some colour on them. Remove from the pan and place on a plate, add another tablespoon of oil and repeat another 2 time with the remaining courgettes.
- Using the same pan on a medium heat, add a bit more oil if needed. Cook the tomatoes with the marjoram for a few minutes or just until they are softening and some of the juices are coming out.
- Add the cooked barley to the same pan as the tomatoes and give a quick mix, add the courgette, check the seasoning and adjust as needed. Remove any sprigs of herbs and the basil and break up some goats cheese and then give anther mix. Place on a serving plate and sprinke over some more goats cheese and serve.