Hi, Today I am sharing a recipe for GrapeFruit and Poppy Seed Cupcakes for a little weekend baking :). This week has flown by, well, this month is flying by. It is going to be the middle of the month soon…where is this year going to.
These GrapeFruit and Poppy Seed Cupcakes are really easy to make are really yummy. I had never tried to bake with grapefruit before and I thought these looked great and a bit different from the usual lemon or orange recipe that you find more easily.
I am not a fan of the yellow grapefruit but the pink grapefruit has a really lovely flavour. Which grapefruit do you prefer?
The syrup that you make and paint over the top make these cupcakes really moist. I have made a few recipes now that ask you to poke holes into the cake or cupcakes and add a syrup. They are always really good, however if the recipe asks to just poke holes in the top I normally go right to the bottom instead. Otherwise the cake/cupcakes will be extra moist on the top instead of all the way through.
The icing sugar is made with the grapefruit juice is really a lovely way to finishes the cupcakes off. If you prefer the icing to be a bit firmer just add less grapefruit juice.
The next time you are thinking of making lemon and poppy seed cupcakes, give these a try instead they really are a lovely change.
I hope you enjoy and have a wonderful weekend xx
Recipe slightly adapted from Homemade Memories: Childhood Treats With A Twist by Kate Doran
GrapeFruit and Poppy Seed Cupcakes
- 175 g flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 175 g caster sugar
- 175 g butter softened
- 3 eggs lightly beaten
- zest of 1 pink grapefruit finely grated
- 1 tablespoon poppy seeds
- For THE SYRUP
- 100 ml pink grapefruit juice
- 80 g caster suger
- FOR THE ICING
- 150 g icing sugar
- 2-3 teaspoons pink grapefruit juice
- Preheat the oven to 160° fan and line a 12-hole muffin tin with cupcake cases.
- Using a mixer, mix the flour, baking powder, sugar, butter, eggs, grapefruit zest until combined and then fold in the poppy seeds.
- Divide the mixture between the 12 cupcake cases. Bake for about 20 minutes or until golden in colour. Insert a cake tester, if it comes out clean the cupcakes are ready. Remove from the oven, transfer them to a wire rack to cool completely.
- While the cupcakes are baking, make the syrup. in a small pan combine the grapefruit juice and sugar. Bring to the boil then reduce the heat and simmer for 4 minutes until the syrup had thickened a bit. Remove from the heat and leave to cool a bit.
- Using a skewer, poke holes in the warm cupcakes and paint over all the syrup using a pastry brush.
- For the icing, mix the icing sugar and grapefruit juice together in a bow until smooth, a little more juice can be added if needed to reach your desired consistency. Spoon the icing over each cupcake and leave until the icing has firmed up.