Hi, Today I am sharing a lovely Orange Chocolate Cake that is lovely and moist and lovely to serve in the summer time… well anytime really.
You could also cook this Orange Chocolate Cake in a loaf tin however you will just need to adjust the cooking time. I like to brush the orange syrup on the cake while it is still in the tin, that way it can soak into the cake and around the edges too. Rather than being wasted on the kitchen counter 🙂
If you prefer to use chocolate chips instead that will also work just fine. I find that chocolate chips can be quite expensive and do not always taste the best, so for this cake I just chopped up some milk chocolate.
Have you got something special planned for this weekend? We are off to Milan for the day tomorrow and then will have an easy day on Sunday. We are leaving Lola (our little dog) with some friends for the weekend. This will be her first time she has slept away from us, I hope she behaves herself 🙂 It is going to be very strange not having her around our feet and waking us up in the morning.
I hope you have a wonderful weekend xx
Orange Chocolate Cake
- 170 g self raising flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 4 tablespoons orange juice
- 100 g butter softened
- 165 g demerara sugar
- 2 eggs
- zest of 1 orange
- 130 g milk chocolate roughly chopped up
- icing sugar for the top
- For The SYRUP:
- 3 tablespoon orange juice
- 3 tablespoon sugar
- Preheat the oven to 180°C and line a 23cm baking tin with baking paper and grease the sides.
- Using a mixer, with the paddle attachment, place the self-raising flour, baking powder, orange juice, butter, demerara sugar, eggs and orange zest in the bowl and beat until all well combined. Fold the chocolate in. Pour the mixture into the prepared baking tin.
- Place in the preheated oven and cook for about 30 minutes or insert a cake tester and when it come out clean remove the cake from the oven and place the tin on a cooling rack and allow to cool in the tin for about 10 minutes.
- For The SYRUP: In a small pan on a low heat, place the orange juice and sugar and mix until the well combined. Once the sugar has dissolved, simmer on a low heat until the syrup has slightly thickened and then remove from the heat.
- While the cake is still in the tin, use a skewer to poke holes all over the cake. Brush the cake with the orange syrup and allow it to sink in. After 5 - 10 minutes remove from the tin and place on a wire rack to cool.
- Dust with icing sugar and serve.