Hi, I hope you had a lovely weekend and had some good sunshine. Spring is definitely here. Today I am sharing some Asparagus and Pea Pasta that is perfect for the spring time 🙂
I really love fresh asparagus, so when I see it appearing in the spring time I am really happy and even happier when it is on special. This recipe is really full of asparagus but you could easily add some more pasta to this amount of asparagus and serve it for 4 people.
Use any pasta you have on hand and cut your asparagus up smaller if you prefer, it is really up to you 🙂
I would suggest once you have added your cream to your sauce you taste it to check the lemon flavour and just add a bit more lemon if needed as all lemons (ingredients) can differ.
When taking your pasta out of the water, make sure you reserve some water just incase you need to add it to your pasta sauce if it is looking a bit dry.
I hope you enjoy xx
Asparagus and Pea Pasta
- 200 g pasta any that you prefer
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- zest and juice of 1/2 lemon
- 100 ml cream
- 250 g fresh asparagus woody ends removed and cut as big or as small as you wish
- 60 g frozen peas
- 20 g parmesan cheese grated + a little extra for serving
- 1/2 teaspoon tarragon
- 5 basil leaves roughly torn
- 5 g chives roughly chopped
- salt and pepper
- Bring a pot of salty water to the boil and cook the peas and asparagus for about 2 - 3 minutes. Scoop out with a small sieve and place in a bowl and run under cold water to stop the cooking process (depending on your size of your asparagus, you may need to start coking them before the peas and maybe a bit longer too, just check as you go).
- Using the same salty water that you blanched the peas and asparagus in, cook the pasta for 2 minutes less than the instructions say.
- Place the oil in a large pan on a medium heat. Add the lemon zest, lemon juice and bring to a simmer. Add the cream and tarragon and season with some salt and pepper (if your pasta has not finished cooking turn the heat down, until the pasta is ready). Once the pasta is cooked, place it straight into the pan and finish the cooking process. It should take about 4 minutes to finish cooking, Half way through add your peas and asparagus so they can warm through. Add the parmesan cheese in 2 batches to the pasta along with the basil and chives. You will have to toss the pasta a bit to make sure it all cooks evenly. Check your seasoning as you go too.
- Serve with a good crack of freshly ground black pepper and some parmesan cheese sprinkled on top.