Hi, today I am sharing a really easy recipe that goes down really well. Aubergine Pizza – it may not be a typical pizza but it still resembles one 🙂
These Aubergine Pizza’s are really tasty and so so easy to make. I’m sure they will go down well as a family meal, a little starter or just something different to try 🙂
When you are making the tomato salsa, you want to only roughly break up the tomatoes and keep a few small chunks in the salsa. As it will be better to have some chunky bits, giving the salsa a bit of body and once it has thickened a bit in the pan it will stay on the aubergine better.
If you prefer to add some other cheeses or topping to your pizza that will work too. Just be careful not to add to much as the aubergine is not so big 🙂 but have fun and play around.
Let me know how your Aubergine Pizza comes out and if you add anything to your topping 🙂
I hope you enjoy and have a wonderful day xx
(Recipe adapted from A Lebanese Feast of Vegetables, Pulses, Herbs and Spices by Mona Hamadeh)
- 1 large aubergine cut into 1cm slices
- 1 x 400g tin tomatoes
- 100 g mozzarella cut into roughly 1/2 cm cubes
- 10 g parmesan cheese grated
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon oregano
- salt and pepper
- Preheat the oven to 220°C
- Place the aubergine on a tray and place in the oven until the tops are browning.
- In the mean time, make the tomato sauce. Place the tin tomatoes in a pan and break them up using a wooden spoon (you can also squash them in you hand before placing them in the pan). Add the balsamic vinegar, oregano and salt and pepper to taste. Cook for about 15 minutes or until the sauce has thickened up a bit, so that when placed on the aubergines it will not run off.
- Once the aubergines have browned, place some tomato sauce on top of each aubergine followed by some mozzarella and parmesan cheese.
- Place in the oven and cook until the cheese is looking lovely and golden browned. Remove, and allow to cool a bit before placing some basil leaves on top and then serve warm.