Hi, today I am sharing some lovely Barley Risotto with Spinach and Gorgonzola. This is really tasty, I didn’t think it would be as good as a risotto but I was really wrong.
I did find that the barley did take a bit longer than a risotto to cook but I will definitely be making a risotto with barley again 🙂 .
If you have finished you stock but it need a little extra cooking just add a small amount of water until cooked.
Today is just a short post but I hope you enjoy it as much as I did. I hope the rest of your week goes well and I will be back on Friday with a post on some yummy muffins that you will be able to bake over the weekend. Just a little hint … don’t throw any old bananas away 😉
I hope you enjoy xx
This recipe was adapted from French and Grace – Kitchen & Co.: Colorful Home Cooking Through the Seasons
Barley Risotto with Spinach and Gorgonzola
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 25 g butter
- 1 red onion finley sliced
- 1 clove of garlic finley diced
- 140 g barley
- 150 ml white wine
- 500 ml vegetable stock
- 50 g gorgonzola
- 25 g parmesan cheese grated
- 100 g spinach
- 1 small handful roughly chopped parsley
- salt and pepper
- In a medium frying pan on a medium heat, melt the butter and oil, then add the onion and cook until soft, about 5 minutes and then add the garlic and cook for a further minute.
- Add the barley and coat in well in the butter. Add the wine and cook until it has all been absorbed.
- Add 100ml of stock and cook until it has all been absorbed, add a further 100ml of stock and continue cooking until it has been absorbed stirring the barley just like you would with a risotto. Repeat adding more stock until all the stock as been absorbed and the barley has a lovely creamy texture and is al dente.
- Add the gorgonzola and parmesan to the barley and stir until it has all melted.
- Check the seasoning and add some freshly ground black pepper.
- Add the spinach and keep folding it in until it has all wilted.
- Stir through some fresh parsley and serve.