A lovely colourful Blueberry Spinach and Pomegranate Couscous Salad to brighten the dull days.
You know sometimes when you buy a cookbook and you only end up trying a few recipes and then put it aside and move onto another cookbook, well I have been trying to change this. I have been working my way through a book called Take on Veg by Georgina Fuggle and have been really enjoying her recipes. This recipe was inspire from one of hers, where she had toasted the couscous first and then cooked it, I thought it was a lovely idea and really wanted to give it a try. By toasting the couscous first and then cooking it, added more texture to the couscous and I really enjoyed it. I do love couscous mainly because it is so versatile and easy to cook.
When toasting the couscous keep and eye on it because as soon as it starts to toast it can colour very quickly, so keep tossing it around in the pan. I found it easier to toss the couscous rather than stirring it.
I hope this salad brightens your day xx
(Recipe adapted from Georgina Fuggle – Take One Veg).
Blueberry Spinach and Pomegranate Couscous Salad
- 150 g couscous
- 80 g blueberries
- 140 g cucumber cut into quarters
- 15 g flaked almonds lightly toasted
- 50 g spinach
- 80 g pomegranate seeds
- 1/2 lemon rind and juice
- 250 ml vegetable stock
- mint a few leaves roughly chopped
- Salt and pepper
- Olive oil
- Heat a medium pan and lightly toast the flaked almonds until golden brown, keep tossing them so they don't burn. Remove from the pan and put aside.
- Place the couscous in the same dry pan on and on a medium heat toast the couscous until golden brown, keep tossing.
- Once the couscous is toasted add the hot stock and cook until it has all been soaked up, giving the couscous a little stir every now and then to make sure it all cooks through. Add some pepper.
- Place the spinach at the bottom of the serving plate.
- Add the blueberries, pomegranate, almonds, mint, lemon rind, a few drizzles of olive oil and a couple of squeezes of lemon juice, give is a good mix up,check the seasoning and the finally toss through the cucumber. Place the couscous on top of the spinach, give a little squeeze of lemon and then serve.