Hi, today I am sharing some Chewy Oaty Fruit Bites. I had some ingredients that I wanted to use up and then came across this recipe.
I really like flapjacks or otherwise known as crunchies however theses are made with slightly different ingredients. This recipe is from the book called:The Hairy Dieters: How to Love Food and Lose Weight and they use apple juice to cook the oats in which I thought was a great idea and wanted to give a try.
They stay quite soft and chewy and are great if you have the nibble. I loved the dried fruit in them. The original recipe calls for maple syrup but I did not have any so I used golden syrup instead.
I hope you enjoy and have a lovely weekend xx
(recipe only very slightly adapted from The Hairy Dieters: How to Love Food and Lose Weight)
Chewy Oaty Fruit Bites
- 25 g flaked almonds
- 40 g dried apricots roughly chopped
- 40 g dried cranberries roughly chopped
- 40 g raisins
- 75 g rice krispies
- 40 g desiccated coconut
- 150 ml golden syrup
- 400 ml apple juice
- 125 g porridge oats
- Preheat the oven to 180°c and line a 20cm x 30cm oven proof dish with baking paper.
- Lightly toast the almonds in a baking tin in the oven for about 5 minutes giving them a little shake half way.
- In a large mixing bowl, place the toasted almonds, apricots,cranberries, raisins, coconut and rice krispies.
- In a pot, warm up the apple juice and golden syrup and then add the oats and bring to a gentle simmer while stirring. Cook for about 4 minutes, until the mixture thickens and becomes like porridge. Remove from the heat and mix it well into the dry mixture.
- Pour the mixture into the prepared dish and flatten and press the mixture down with a spoon.
- Place in the oven for about 40 minutes or until the top is golden brown.
- Leave to cool in the dish for 30 minutes before cutting it up into squares. Once cut up, remove from the dish and place on a cooling rack to cool completely before placing in an airtight container.