When you hear the word pie what do you think of? I think of a heartfelt meal that calms my mood and lifts my spirits, I don’t think I will ever say no to a chicken pie!
More pumpkin or butternut can easily be added, this is what I had left in my fridge. Grainy mustard can be added to your taste, you may also wish to add cream and less crème fraiche which is also ok. Play around and have fun with your pie filling.
I like to cook my pie from start to finish in an ovenproof pan but you can transfer it to another overproof dish if you wish.
The crispy pastry on the top and the soggy bit underneath from the juices of the pie is one of the best parts and if no one is looking some pastry just some how happens to go missing.
The pie filling can be make a day or 2 beforehand so if you know you are going to be busy all you have to do when you get home is warm up your oven and cook the pie and then just enjoy.
- 2 onions finely diced
- 400 g chicken breast roughly cut into 2cm pieces
- 1 Leek halved and sliced
- 180 g pumpkin roughly chopped into 1cm squares
- 2 Sticks of celery sliced
- 2 tablespoons mustard
- 80 ml crème fraiche
- 300 ml chicken stock
- 2 olive oil
- 3 sprigs of thyme
- 1 tablespoon flour
- 230 g sheet puff pastry
- 1 egg beaten
- salt and pepper
- Preheat the oven to 200°C
- In 24cm pan add the oil, once heated up seal the chicken and then remove from the pan leaving the juice and any pieces from the chicken.
- Add the onions, pumpkin, leeks and thyme when the pan starts to go dry add half the stock and continue to cook on a medium to low heat.
- Once the stock has reduced by half, check the pumpkin it should nearly be cooked through, add the rest of the stock, crème fraiche, mustard and check the seasoning.
- Cook it until the sauce has reduced and the pumpkin is cooked through then add the chicken and celery, give it a good mix.
- Place the pastry over the filling, push the pastry down a bit around the edge of the filling and crinkle the sided together. Brush over some egg wash, place in the oven and cook for about 10 minutes or until it is golden brown. Serve with a side salad.