Hi, Today I am sharing Chocolate Nutella Cupcakes that are fun to make and perfect to celebrate Easter with 🙂
The picture above shows the hole in the centre of the cupcake (left) and the one on the right, shows where I have filled the cupcake with the NUTELLA CREAM CORE. I filled mine using a teaspoon but a piping bag can also be used. Once you have filled each cupcake up, if you have any extra NUTELLA CREAM CORE left over, top up any holes that have gone down a bit.
I used a large star nozzle to do my piping, it was a Wilton 2D star but any large nozzle will work, the affect will just be slightly different and there is nothing wrong with that. If you are wanting a lot of icing on top of the cupcakes I suggest that you double the amount of icing you make. If you don’t have a piping bag or nozzles you can just spread some icing on with a small palette knife.
You can decorate your cupcakes as you wish, as it is Easter weekend I found some mini eggs and used them but just have fun and do what makes you happy 🙂
I hope you have a lovely Weekend and are able to do some baking, cooking or just have some time to yourself 🙂
I hope you enjoy xx
(Recipe from LOLA’S Forever: Recipes for cupcakes, cakes and slices – only very slightly adapted )
Chocolate Nutella Cupcakes
- 3 eggs
- 220 g caster sugar
- 150 ml sunflower oil
- 80 ml full fat milk
- 150 g self raising flour
- 45 g cocoa powder
- NUTELLA CREAM CORE
- 125 g Nutella
- 80 ml cream
- NUTELLA BUTTERCREAM ICING
- 125 g butter softened
- 180 g nutella
- 90 g icing sugar
- TO DECORATE
- Small easter eggs sprinkles, roasted hazelnuts
- Line the muffin tins with 18 muffin cases.
- Preheat the oven to 180°C
- Using a free stand mixer with a whisk attachment or a hand held mixer, beat the eggs and sugar until light and fluffy.
- Add the oil and milk to the egg mixture and give a quick mix. If using a free stand mixer change the attachment to paddle attachment and sift in the cocoa powder and flour. Very quickly, on a medium to high speed mix it all together, do not over mix.
- Divide the mixture between the muffin cases and place in the oven and cook for about 20 minutes. Test with a cake tester to make sure they are cooked then transfer to a wire rack to cool.
- To make the NUTELLA CREAM CORE - Place the nutella in a small pot and warm up slightly until it softens, this will take a minute or so. Remove from the heat and mix in the 80ml of cream, place in a heat resistant bowl and allow to cool completely.
- To make the NUTELLA BUTTERCREAM ICING - Using a free standing mixer with a paddle attachment or a hand held mixer, beat the butter until soft and smooth. Sift in half the icing sugar into the softened butter and mix until incorporated and then do the same for the remaining icing sugar, you may need to scrape the butter from the sides of the bowl sometimes to make sure everything gets mixed together properly. In a small pot heat the 180g Nutella for a minute or so until softened then add to the butter mixture in batches.
- To Assemble the Cupcakes - using a knife or a cupcake corer remove some of the middle of the cupcake (this can be seen in the above picture 2), Using a teaspoon (or a piping bag) fill each hole with the NUTELLA CREAM CORE.
- For the NUTELLA BUTTERCREAM ICING - use a piping bag and a large star nozzle, pipe the icing over each cupcake and decorate as you wish.