You know when you have looked at a recipe and know you have all the ingredients and plan on making it as your next meal but what you don’t do is read how to make it, your heart sinks as it is going to take so so much longer than you originally planned.
This recipe was inspired from a recipe in the Jamie Oliver magazine, tin lentils and tin tomatoes came to the rescue and reduced the cooking time dramatically and food was able to be served.
Any pasta can be used but it is sometimes nice to try one that is a little different from what you always choose.
Don’t forget to remove the pasta 1 – 2 minutes before it is ready and then finish the cooking in the pan with the beautiful sauce which can take 2 – 4 minutes, in this time you will be adding the parmesan cheese keeping a little bit aside just to sprinkle over the top.
(Recipe inspired from Jamie Oliver Magazine).
Easy Lentil and Tomato Pasta
- 1 x 400g tin of Lentils
- 1 x 400g tin of Tomatoes
- 1 large celery stick chopped
- 120 g cherry tomatoes halved
- 1 handful of basil roughly torn
- 1 large red onion finely chopped
- 1 garlic glove finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon red cider vinegar
- 400 g trofie pasta
- 40 g parmesan cheese greated
- salt and pepper
- chilly flakes optional - as much or as little as you like
- Bring a big pot of salty water to the boil. Cook pasta as per instructions but remove 1 minute before it is ready.
- In a large pan on a medium heat heat up your oil and then add your onion, garlic and some salt, cook until they have softened.
- Add the tomato by either cutting it up or squashing it with your hand, add the red cider vinegar, chilli flakes if using and reduce the sauce by half and then add the lentils and warm through, add the celery and check the seasoning.
- Drain the pasta and add it to the pan, mix the pasta and sauce together and cook for a minute, add some parmesan and mix through then add some more and mix through again, keeping about 5g to sprinkle over the top.
- When placing the pasta on your serving dish, add the cherry tomatoes and basil through the pasta and then top it off with some fresh basil and a little bit of parmesan