I hope you have has a wonderful start to your week, today I am sharing a Four Cheese Cannelloni with Radicchio.
It’s best to stand the cannelloni up when fulling them, I used a teaspoon to get the cheesy mixture into them. If you find that the mixture is too thick, add a bit of water but be careful not to make it too runny for when you full them up. You still want them to have their filling inside when you come to eat it.
If you do not want your cannelloni to have a crispy top, make sure that you cover all the cannelloni with the cheese sauce.
If you cannot find Radicchio, use some endives, as the Four Cheese Cannelloni with Radicchio is very rich and the radicchio or endives are there to just break up the richness a bit.
If you do not want to make this as a cannelloni you could alway just make it into a sauce for some pasta.
I hope you enjoy this cannelloni bake 🙂
(recipe inspired and adapted from an Italian magazine Cucinare bene)
Four Cheese Cannelloni with Radicchio
- 20 cannelloni
- 400 g potato
- 150 g fontina grated
- 100 g provolone grated
- 100 g gorgonzola cut up
- 50 g parmesan grated
- 2 radicchio heads cut off the end and cut out the core then roughly sliced
- 2 cloves of garlic finely chopped
- 1 spring onion finely cut
- 25 g butter
- 20 g flour
- 300 ml vegetable stock
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- salt and pepper
- Boil the potatoes for about 20 minutes or until cooked through. Once cooked drain and peel the potatoes then roughly cut them up. Place a sieve over a bowl and pass the potatoes through the sieve using a spoon, fork or a flexible dough scraper.
- In a medium pot, melt the butter and add half the finely cut garlic along with the spring onion. Cook for about 3 minutes. Whisk the flour into the butter mixture for about 5 minutes, until it is all absorbed. (It will become a thick paste - a roux). Slowly add the vegetable stock, pouring a bit at a time into the roux, whisking continuously. The mixture will start to thicken and resemble a white sauce. Once all the water has been added, continue to mix for about 5 minutes over a low heat, until the sauce thickens. Add the grated cheese, gorgonzola and the mashed potatoes and mix until it is all incorporated. Check seasoning and add salt and pepper as needed. If the mixture is feeling very thick add a bit more water.
- Preheat the oven to 180°C and oil your oven proof dish. Stand the cannelloni up, using a spoon, full them with the cheese sauce. Once full, lay them down in your dish. With the remaining cheese sauce (if it has become very thick return to the heat and add some more water) and then pour the remaining sauce over the cannelloni.
- cook for 30 minutes.
- While the cannelloni is cooking, in a medium pan, heat up the oil and cook the remaining garlic for a few minutes and then add the radicchio and a bit of salt, cook for a few minutes, until just becoming soft, do not over cook as it will turn brown.
- Once the cannelloni is cooked remove from the oven and place the cooked radicchio over the top and serve.