We can all do with a Hearty Home Soup that just make you think of home. It’s not one of the perfectly smooth and creamy soup but rather has a lot a texture which I rather like.
If you have any other ingredients that you have lying around or wish to substitute go for it. Cabbage can be substitute for cavolo nero.
Don’t worry about chopping your vegetables up perfectly, this hearty soup can take nearly anything you throw at it, its very fulling and can be reheated and finished off the next day if there are any left overs.
This Italian soup is traditionally made with leftover bread and vegetables, I decide to add barley as I did not have any bread in the house.
Don’t forget to give your tomato tin a little swish with some water to clean it out 🙂
(Recipe adapted from GINO D’ACAMPO – Gino’s Vegitalia).
Hearty Home Soup
- 150 g Barley
- 1 x 400g tin Borlotti Beans rinsed & drained
- 1 x 400g tin Tomatoes
- 1 litre Vegetable or Chicken Stock
- 150 g Cavolo Nero remove tough central stalk & roughly shred
- 1 Large Leek halved & sliced
- 2 Medium Carrots halved & roughly chopped
- 1 Tablespoon Tomato purée
- 2 Courgettes halved & roughly chopped
- 1 Celery Stick roughly chopped
- 2 Thyme Sprigs
- 1 Rosemary Sprig
- 1 Bay Leaf
- 2 Tablespoon olive oil
- Salt and Pepper
- In a large pot on a medium heat add the oil, onions, leeks, carrots and celery and cook for 15 - 20 minutes.
- Add the barlotti beans, barley, tomato purée and the tin tomatoes 1 by 1 while squashing them between you hand as you go. Add the herbs and the stock, bring to the boil then reduce to a low heat, cover and simmer for about 40 minutes.
- Remove the herb sprigs and the bay leaf, add the courgettes and cavolo nero, cover and simmer for another 10 - 15 minutes, season to taste.