This Sausage and Tomato Pasta is really easy and is one of my favourite Jamie Oliver pasta recipes.
You can easily adapt this recipe to what you have in your fridge and cupboards. The original recipe uses: Spring onions, Sausage, more garlic so add some more if you like lots of garlic, Jamie also uses more balsamic vinegar so test as you go as you may also want to add more than I did it all depends on your taste. You may not even have balsamic vinegar in you cupboard so use a bit of sugar instead if you need to. Adding some peas at the same time you add the tin tomatoes would be a great addition too, even some chopped courgettes could be added.
Have a little play around to see what you come up with, the original pasta from Jamie Oliver can be read here. Any Pasta can be used, I would tend to use one that the sauce can get caught in, I used fusilli pasta but shell pasta would also be great.
I hope you enjoy xx
(Recipe adapted from Jamie Oliver – Jamie’s 30-Minute Meals: A Revolutionary Approach to Cooking Good Food Fast).
Sausage and Tomato Pasta - My Favourite Jamie Oliver Pasta Recipe
- 1 red onion
- 1 large carrot
- 1 stick of celery
- 400 g sausage mince
- 1 heaped teaspoon fennel seeds
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 500 g pasta
- 2 garlic cloves crushed or finely chopped
- 1 - 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 1 x 400g tin tomatoes
- dried chilli flakes or 1 fresh red chilli with seeds removed
- handful of basil
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- salt and pepper
- parmesan cheese
- Place a pot of salty water on to boil.
- Trim the ends off the onion, carrot and celery and roughly chop them up. Place vegetables in a food processor and blitz along with the fresh chilli if using.
- Add the sausage mince, fennel seeds, oregano and the dried chilli (to your taste) if using. Blitz until well mixed.
- In a large pan add the olive oil and garlic, cook for a few minutes then add the sausage mixture to the hot pan and keep mixing and breaking it up as it is cooking.
- Add your chosen pasta to the boiling water and cook as per instructions.
- Add the tomatoes to the sausage, breaking them up before you add them, add a tablespoon of balsamic vinegar and check add some more balsamic vinegar if needed and check the seasoning too add salt and pepper as needed.
- When the pasta has 1 minute to go remove from the water, keep a bit of the water incase you need to add it to the pasta.
- Place the pasta in the pan with the sausage and mix well and finish cooking the pasta, add some of the pasta water if it is looking a bit dry.
- When ready, serve and sprinkle over basil and some parmesan cheese