I hope you had a good weekend. This Vegetable and Barley Soup is from a new book I got – My Kind of Food: Recipes I Love to Cook at Home by John Torode.
I had all these vegetables in the fridge and some of them needed to get used up and a soup is alway great way to use vegetables that have maybe been forgotten about.
I ordered this book on amazon as it was such a great price and the reviews were really good too, so I took the opportunity and ordered it (and maybe a few other ones too). This is the first recipe I have made from this book but I have seen a few other ones that look great too and hope to have a go at making soon. But the soup was speaking to me as the weather has been really cold here, the sun has been shining but its still rather chilly outside.
I did the recipe as per the instructions, the only thing was that I did not have white pepper so used black pepper instead and at the end you are meant to add 50ml of olive oil which I did not do either. It was really easy to make and tasted delicious.
I hope you enjoy this soup as much as I did 🙂
(Recipe by John Torode – My Kind of Food: Recipes I Love to Cook at Home).
Vegetable and Barley Soup
- 75 g Pearl Barley
- 50 g Butter
- 2 Large Carrots peeled and cut into 1.5 cm chunks
- 1 Leek cut into quarters and sliced into 1.5 cm chunks
- 1 Onion diced
- 4 Celery Sticks cut into 1.5 cm chunks
- 2 Potatoes peeled and cut into 1.5 cm chunks
- 3 Cabbage Leaves Shredded (Optional)
- 1 Litre Vegetable Stock or 2 stock cubes
- Salt and Pepper
- 50 ml olive oil Optional
- In a small pan, add half the stock and the barley. Bring to the boil over a medium heat and then reduce to a simmer and cook for 15 minutes. Then place the pan to the side until later use.
- Place the butter in a pan over a medium heat and add the potatoes, onions and 3 tablespoons of water and cook for 5 minutes stirring a few times (the water will help soften the vegetables and stop them from colouring). Add the leeks, celery and carrots and cook for another 5 minutes, stirring occasionally. Season with pepper and a pinch of salt.
- Add the other half of stock and bring to the boil. Reduce the heat to a simmer and cook for 20 minutes or until the carrots and potatoes are cooked.
- When the vegetables are cooked, add the barley and the cooking stock and bring to the boil. Check the seasoning. Add the cabbage (if using) and return to the boil for 2 minutes (stir through 50ml olive oil if using) remove from the heat and serve with some lovely bread.