HI, I hope you are having a lovely week. Today I am sharing a short post for an Aubergine and Tomato Pasta Bake.
As this pasta just goes under the grill, I like cook my pasta after the aubergines have finished cooking as then it is still warm when I place it under the grill. If you like chilly you can add some finely cut chilly or some chilly flakes.
This will work well with any short past such a rigatoni, shell pasta, tortiglioni or fusilli, the pasta I used was rigatoni but use what you can get.
The most important things for this recipe are: to cook the aubergine long enough so that all of the aubergines are lovely and soft. I really do not like the texture of undercooked or rubbery aubergine. It is also important that the sauce on the pasta does not look dry, adding a little bit of the pasta water will help a lot, if it is looking a bit dry.
I hope you enjoy this easy pasta bake xx
This recipe like my previous post Spicy Spinach and Cannellini Bean Stew is adapted from Gino D’Acampo – A Taste of the Sun: Gino’s Italian Escape (Book 2)
Aubergine and Tomato Pasta Bake
- 500 g Pasta any short pasta
- 60 ml olive oil
- 800 g of Aubergines roughly cut into 1cm cubes
- 2 Large onions finely sliced
- 2 x 400g tin tomatoes
- Flaked chilli - optional
- 1 Tablespoon Basalmic vinegar
- basil - a good handfull roughly chopped
- 80 g Parmesan grated
- salt and pepper
- Put the cut aubergine into a colander and sprinkle with some salt, give it a bit of a mix. Leave for 30 minutes or so.
- Place a large pot of salty water on to boil.
- Place the oil in a large pan, on a medium to high heat. Once the oil is warm add the aubergines and cook for a good 20 minutes or until all the aubergines are lovely and soft.
- Cook the pasta one minute less than the instructions say. Reserve some of the pasta water.
- Once the aubergines are soft, remove from the pan and place in a heat proof bowl. In the same pan, add a tiny bit of oil if needed and cook the onions until soft and translucent, add some chilli or chilli flakes if using.
- Add the tomatoes, squashing them between your hand or cutting them, add the balsamic vinegar and cook for a minute of so until it has all warmed through. Add the basil.
- Add the cooked aubergines and mix together well. Check the seasoning and adjust as needed.
- Add 2 tablespoons of water to each tomato tin, give a big swirl and add to the tomato and aubergines mixture.
- Once the pasta is cooked add to the mixture, keep some of the pasta water and drain the rest and add the pasta to the pan and mix everything together. If it is looking a little dry add some of the reserved pasta water. Add half the parmesan cheese and mix through.
- Place in a large oven proof dish and sprinkle the rest of the parmesan cheese on top. Place under a hot grill and grill for 5 - 7 minutes.